Monday 20 December 2010

"A lot of people like snow. I find it to be an unnecessary freezing of water."

Carl Reiner said this. I was about to say...whoever he is...but I didn't want to appear ignorant so I looked him up on Google. Seems he's quite famous. Seems I'm quite ignorant.

Carl Reiner is "an American actor, film director, producer, writer and comedian." Actually, I know something about his son, Rob, director of 'When Harry Met Sally' etc. So it DOES run in families!

What chance have I got then? Bit too late to qualify as a doctor. My dad was a writer as well, though, so I have a lot to thank him for gene-wise. His autobiography was published as well as a number of medical books for lay people. His greatest triumph, a play about Pontius Pilate, was broadcast on the radio. I miss him. I think he'd be delighted to know that I'm a full-time writer with some books and films to my credit.

It's all too easy to forget one's influences. The next thing I write I'll dedicate to him. The next thing after the article about  speech and language therapy that is...which I WILL finish before Christmas!

I have my fingerless gloves on today so I feel like a real proper grown-up writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment