Monday 27 December 2010

A book must be an ice-axe to break the seas frozen inside our soul.

You are so right Mr. Kafka.

I used to consume two or three books a week. Now - I find it hard to concentrate for very long when I'm reading. I'm not sure what it is exactly apart from the fact that my mind is so full of stuff that it hardly ever submits. I also spend a deal of time writing at my computer. Perhaps I've addled my brain?

The exception to this sad state of affairs has been Stieg Larsson's Millenium Trilogy - The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and so on. I read all three straight through. At the end of the second volume, I actually ran upstairs to grab the third because I HAD to know what happened next. Loved it. Intelligent writing AND a real page-turner. But it was only a temporary thawing of the soul.

I have a pile of books on my bedside table, clamouring for my attention.

The Passage - Justin Cronin - which I started but stopped.
Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk - David Sedaris - read the first story and loved it but stopped
A Week In December - Sebastian Faulks - a Christmas present
Winter Ghosts - Kate Mosse - another Christmas present

Puritanical ethics (WHERE did they come from?)I MUST finish The Passage before I start on anything else.

Today's the day to start being a reader again before the ice becomes too thick.

1 comment: