Sunday 23 January 2011

"If you invent a better mousetrap, the government comes along with a better mouse.”

Ronald Reagan SOMETIMES said clever things! At any rate, I think the government's been interfering with MY mouse population. Too cunning by half, they are. (Mice not members of parliament, although maybe both?)

Today's score. Mice- 2 Caroline- 0

In the larder, the mouse managed to eat all the cashew nuts without triggering the trap. In the sitting room, I had a late night snack of Applewood Smoked Cheddar. So did a mouse, because I forgot to return the packet to the fridge. Mice are very neat eaters - a perfect crescent of tiny nibbles.

Plan B with the trap - glue the cashews to the end of it with peanut butter - that way the mouse will HAVE to go all the way in. Then it will tip up and the mouse can stuff herself silly until the morning. I have a feeling she'll soon be like Winnie The Pooh having eaten too much hunny in the rabbit hole...a mega-mouse.

I'm full too, not with hunny but with plans. This trip to Canada is going to be used to get super fit and regulate my food intake. It's also going to be used to research teenage fiction because I'm thinking that this might be where my future lies. I have two screenplays written that I'm confident will translate well into that genre. Just think - when the novels are successful, I'll already have the screenplays written when Hollywood comes knocking on my door...

Yes, siree!

Boy, are there some really CHEESY quotes about dreams! Applewood Smoked Cheddar Cheesy. Or even Colliers Welsh Cheddar Cheesy, which is strong to the point of cauterising the roof of your mouth.

This quote's not too bad though. I think it can be read without the need to reach for the sick bucket:

“You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.”

I always loved C.S. Lewis.

4 comments:

  1. Mouse score update:

    Mouse 3 - Caroline 0

    Great excitement! After lunch, the trap was shut. I wasn't going to be fooled THIS time. I got my coat and boots on, took the trap right down to the bottom of the garden, near to an animal shelter, being sure to hold it level and still so as not to upset Miss Mousie. I also took some hay to make a little nest.

    I opened the trap oh so carefully. No mouse. The weight of the peanut butter must have caused the trap to shut on its own.

    Foiled again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a cashew! Firmly stuck down with peanut butter. It did try to make a run for it but I was too quick for it.

    Now you have posed a 'cruelty to nuts' dilemma...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mouse 4 - Caroline 0

    Mice have eaten all the skins off my onions. I went to the vegetable basket. My first thought was 'That's unlike me to buy white onions instead of brown ones.'

    It WAS unlike me, because I HADN'T.

    ReplyDelete