Sunday 2 January 2011

A computer is like an Old Testament god, with a lot of rules and no mercy

Okay, so I'm not the most computer-literate woman in the universe, but I'm not bad, either. I DID manage to create my own website and my own eShop, both fully-functional. It was a struggle, yes, but I did it in the end with minimal help. (Tim's 'three hour rule' worked wonders for my cyber-self-esteem)

BUT since my computer has had everything uninstalled and then reinstalled with Windows 7 which wouldn't operate and uninstalled again and reinstalled with Windows XP, I have no sound system.

"You haven't reinstalled the driver,have you," says Peter. Duh!

Yesterday, I spent a great deal of time searching for the driver CD in order to reinstall it. Well how was I to know that I wasn't looking for a Dell CD for the speaker system but a C-Media CM18738 4 Channel PCI Sound Card CD ? Double duh!

Today, I have the right CD for the right soundcard.

BUT when I try to install it, it says 'Hardware not detected, set-up will abort'

"Computer rage is a heightened physiological response with associated feelings of anger and frustration resulting from using a computer or other complex electronic device. It may result in the physical assault of the computer or similar item, possibly leading to the device incurring more damage than it had before."

Tell me about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment