Thursday 31 January 2013

“The more Caroline waited, the more the doorbell didn't ring. Or the phone.”

Replace Caroline with Susan and you'd have it - a quote from Douglas Adams - Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency

 Yes...waiting...and the little girl in the photo looks spookily like me at the same age.

 I'm referring to the sort of waiting I'm doing a lot of at the moment - waiting to hear back from editors, animators, directors, production companies all of whom have pieces of my work.

I'm not very good at waiting. Or rather, I start off being very good at it, all full of gung-ho hope and optimism. Then, as time goes by that little voice in my head gets louder.

By Glenn McCleary
It's strange how the little voice in my head never says anything ENCOURAGING...

Mostly, at the moment, it's saying - "They think your work is crap and they're just taking their time formulating the right words in order to tell you this."

So how I cope with this waiting process is by blocking it out, by composing a mind-bogglingly impossible To Do List and thrashing my way through it at a hundred miles an hour so I don't ever have time to

THINK

when if I DID let myself think, I'd realise that the little voice in my head is...

crazy as a soup sandwich.




No comments:

Post a Comment