Wednesday 30 January 2013

“The caterpillar does all the work, but the butterfly gets all the publicity.”

A quote from George Carlin. Made me smile!


Okay, so yesterday I finished the script, Creep Like A Rat,  for the New York director. I haven't sent it yet - I want to check it through after a good night's sleep before I do.

Caroline Caterpillar Coxon? I don't know. At the moment, the balance of effort looks like this:

The director and I have a Skype conversation and he tells me the outline of a story and asks if I'd be willing to turn it into a script of up to half an hour. I say yes. We don't discuss pay. I don't assume that pay comes into the equation, to be honest. It's my choice to do it or not do it. I choose to do it.


I don't know how many weeks, days and hours it's taken me. Suffice to say A LOT. A twenty two page script takes time.

I don't underestimate the time and effort that will now be required by the director to bring the script to the screen.

My concern is this. Not that the director will be the butterfly with all the publicity and I get none - but that, after all that work (MY work) nothing will become of it at all...which has happened to me before...

SO - I'm going to lay down some stipulations... 

Then I'm going to send my caterpillar script off to New York so it can take flight.


No comments:

Post a Comment