Thursday 10 January 2013

“The best way out is always through.”

I've always loved Robert Frost. Well, not him so much as his poetry. Yes, it's over-quoted but I'd certainly place 'Stopping by woods on a snowy evening' high on my list of favourite poems.

by Susan Jeffers
So - the best way out is through, is it, Robert Frost? Oh yes it IS!

I found that out yesterday during the process of writing the synopsis of Of Night And Light

This was the task. Take a 54,000 word novel with about thirty assorted characters and several sub-plots as well as the main storyline and write a synopsis that fits onto one A4 page (with regular not microscopic font and proper paragraphs) - oh, and make it interesting and fun to read.

Easy-peasy. NOT


This was me. Write a few lines then get frustrated and stop. Make myself a coffee. Write a little more. Get VERY frustrated and stop. Think of other jobs that suddenly seemed way more important. Cross out the lines already written and decide I'm a rubbish writer. Write a few lines and stop. Wonder if it's lunchtime even though it's only 11.23.

BUT then...take a step back.

Look at who I am. Who I am is a writer. The future I created for this year is "to shift the balance of my work life from corporate to creative" which includes "being taken on by a literary agent for my children's writing and have Of Night And Light published."

So why wouldn't I want write this synopsis and make it sing and sizzle?

So I did!


Nobody said it was going to be easy...but at least I could smile a little more.

No comments:

Post a Comment