Thursday 24 January 2013

I cannot afford to waste my time making money.

...said Louis Agassiz. Isn't he a tennis player? (Nope - he was a Swiss-American paleontologist!)


That's a noble and artistic sentiment...

The fact of the matter is that I have not earned ANY money since before Christmas - no copywriting or editing work coming in from clients, though I'm assured I'm not forgotten and that 'There is work out there," and "It will pick up."

I truly don't underestimate how lucky I am that Peter earns enough money so that this state of affairs doesn't mean we'll end up in the work house begging for gruel. I cannot thank him enough.


I haven't been wasting my time. Never has there been such creative output. And while I feel fulfilled, in that respect, I can't help that little niggling feeling that I should be making more of a financial contribution to the household.

I do it in other ways, for sure - at the moment in the middle of a huge re-decorating project, aside from all the domestic chores that are my own.

But...I suppose it's my pride and sense of fair play that makes the situation bother me anyway.

I'm holding on to what Pearl Buck said:

"Write a novel if you must, but think of money as an unlikely accident."


If only Peter would stop mentioning J.K. Rowling...

1 comment:

  1. Stick with it, it seems apparent you enjoy writing, live a life happy in that.

    ReplyDelete