Sunday 18 November 2012

The effectiveness of work increases according to geometric progression if there are no interruptions...

said Andre Maurois, French novelist, who died in 1967...


and therefore knew not the perils of internet surfing, emails and Facebook...

"According to Gloria Mark, a leader in interruption science, the average knowledge worker switches tasks every three minutes, and, once distracted, a worker takes nearly a half-hour to resume the original task."

I am not interrupted that often by anyone other than myself.

That burning need to check my emails...and Facebook...or the compulsion to Google some red herring in the guise of essential research...


...the sudden desire for a cup of tea and a cheese scone...the paranoia that makes me check for errors on my blog - yes THIS blog...and look at my stats to make sure people are reading it...that burning need to check my emails (again - after all, it's been at least five minutes since the last time)...and Facebook...


...and ...and so it goes on.

It's a wonder I produce any work at all really.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment