Tuesday 31 July 2012

How to take charge of a butterfly brain

No, NOT a brain belonging to a butterfly.

(I just had to check if butterfies even have brains. They do. "The centre of a butterfly's nervous system is the suboesophageal ganglion and is located in the insect's thorax, not its head." I know some people like that.)

The above quickly executed Google search is an example of MY butterfly brain. I'm doing one thing and a question comes into my mind at a tangent and I have to deal with that before I can carry on with the first thing...

by Patricia Katchur
...but sometimes that question leads to another question and...and...

It's good to be curious about everything, I think. I'm constantly fascinated, always learning. I'd be worried my brain would atrophy if I wasn't like that.

The down side is that sometimes it's hard to focus. Sometimes I NEED to focus, particularly when I have a number of clients all wanting me to use my brain for them at the same time.

I need to train those butterflies.

from She Walks Softly
Not easy to do without squashing them or breaking their wings.

Here's one thing I do: Listen to baroque music.A favourite is Albinoni's Oboe Concerto No 2 in D Minor


Honestly, it works. I found out that it worked by accident before I found out that baroque music's effect on the brain has been the subject of academic research.

Here's a link to a paper from Stanford University: Music moves brain to pay attention, organise events

"...music engages the areas of the brain involved with paying attention, making predictions and updating the event in memory."

Now, what was I meant to be doing?


No comments:

Post a Comment