Monday 2 July 2012

I hear YouTube, Twitter and Facebook are merging to form a super Social Media site – YouTwitFace.

Arf, arf, Conan O'Brien, American television host.

Okay, okay, Facebook has its downside. I object to being given a new e-mail address without being consulted at all. That's just one thing. If you were to ask my son Tim, he'd come up with a zillion things that are wrong with Facebook because he's a Google Plus Boy.


The trouble is, Tim, all my FRIENDS are on Facebook. Yes, they ARE friends. Friends in a different sort of way to people I've met in real life and go round to dinner with or off to Tunbridge Wells on a girlie shopping outing. Virtual friends.


Here's an interesting article: Should one attend the funeral of a virtual friend? 

I'm thinking...probably not.

But THIS is the Very Good Bit about Facebook. Thirty eight years ago, (surely not? I'm far too young.) I worked on a farm in the very north of Norway before going to university. About three years ago, in an idle moment, I wondered if I could find any members of the family on Facebook. I found Åsa, I thought, maybe, perhaps, could it be? - the daughter. 

I sent off a tentative hello. In FIVE MINUTES, she had responded.

Yesterday, she and her daughter and two of her friends arrived here to stay with me. THIRTY EIGHT YEARS later.



Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment