Monday 23 July 2012

5 little known things that could affect your screenwriting

Expert screenwriter Caroline Coxon's tried and tested ways concerning how not to write screenplays.

* Free gift: Bonus advice at the end of this blog, born of many years experience.

1. Spend time writing a blog about procrastination.


This is an excellent way of not writing screenplays because you feel as though you're doing something useful and you can kid yourself that it's just a preliminary writing exercise to get your brain into gear.

2. Write a To-Do List 

An absolutely foolproof way of not writing a screenplay, even if you put that task right at the top of the list, because it helps you to create previously unthought of reasons to explain why you can't get on with writing a screenplay.

3. Sharpen your pencils


This is a particularly useful way not to write screenplays if you have lots of pencils. You can pretend to yourself that you might try writing in longhand even though you always use FinalDraft on a computer. It makes you feel eco-friendly.

4. Check e-mails and Facebook page.

...but so very crucial when you're trying not to write a screenplay. There's always the chance that there might be a message from Steven Spielberg or Christopher Nolan about your last screenplay and then you won't have to bother writing another one..


5. Read through the very few pages of the screenplay that you have already written

This will definitely make you despair and vow never to attempt a feature length screenplay ever again.

Now...*As advertised above

Totally free advice from screenplay expert Caroline Coxon about how to conquer these issues:

JUST STOP IT ...and start writing your screenplay


(It didn't work for me! Why should you be any different?)



2 comments:

  1. Brilliant Caroline! I've put all your suggestions at the top of my to do list under a sub-heading 'What Not To Do'. I've also come to check my Fb page before running a very late bath because I also had to check my 'to do' list first and let's face it, there might have been something important on FB that would have affected my taking a bath - like the water shortage has returned after one day of sunshine. Now then I'd better just sharpen my pencils then I can cross that chore off my 'to do' list with my newly-sharpened pencil but then of course it will need to be put back on because it will need to be done again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello anonymous! (My most regular comment-maker)You are plainly a person who understands the art of not writing screenplays. Perhaps we should start a club?

    ReplyDelete