Wednesday 27 June 2012

England and America are two countries separated by a common language.

You speak the truth, George Bernard Shaw.


I've just spent a good twenty minutes (actually, a BAD twenty minutes) on the phone waiting for a customer-service representative from my website package provider to pick up...

For some reason, bearing in mind it's a British company, all the sickeningly patronising recorded messages were in 'American.'

After the seventeenth time of hearing THIS...(cue sappy background music)


 "Because of the personal attention given to every caller you may experience a brief delay. Please remain on the line and a representative will assist you momentarily."

...I was ready to scream down the phone 'I DON'T WANT TO BE ASSISTED MOMENTARILY, I WANT TO BE ASSISTED FOR AS LONG AS IT TAKES TO RESOLVE MY PROBLEM!' 

Because, you see, in MY language to do something momentarily is to do it for a very brief while - FOR A MOMENT. It doesn't mean IN a brief while.

See? 

Additionally, to me 'a moment' DOES NOT MEAN 23 MINUTES!

Got it?

A slight touch of phone rage, Mrs. Coxon?



Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment