Monday 11 June 2012

Life is not so short but that there is always time for courtesy

Ralph Waldo Emerson has always been a hero of mine and, with that sentiment, he's just been elevated to Super Hero.


(I was unable to find a picture of him wearing his underpants on top of his tights)

Lack of courtesy is an ongoing complaint for me in my working and writing life.

This is the sort of thing that happens time after time...

A director or film producer requests one of my screenplays. I send it off with a courteous e-mail. I wait. The director or producer doesn't acknowledge receipt. He (they are almost always male) doesn't ever contact me again, to say something as short and simple as 'Thank you for sending me your screenplay. I'm afraid it's not what we're looking for at the moment."


That is just completely inexcusable and downright RUDE.

If I dare to mention it, I get treated like some sort of imbecile who plainly doesn't understand quite how busy and important a person he is to bother with insignificant little writers like me. (A writer who creates the film with which he will achieve fame and fortune and without which he wouldn't have a film to make)

Or, I get something like 'Oh, that's how it is in "the industry."' Well, I'm sorry but IT BLOODY WELL SHOULDN'T BE.

One thing is - I wouldn't want to work with anyone as rude and patronising and full of self-importance. Another thing is that I'm not the sort of person merely to complain. I want to change this culture.

Wish me luck!

I'd let you know how I'm getting on but then you'd have to reply to me...


No comments:

Post a Comment