Monday 18 June 2012

Changes are not predictable; but to deny them is to be an accomplice to one's own unnecessary vegetation

Gail Sheehy, American journalist and writer said this.

It made me laugh, the way it was phrased. I think I have semantic pragmatic disorder. 'One's own unnecessary vegetation' made me visualise surplus broccoli hair.



OH! She's talking about vegetating!


I have no intention of vegetating. The trouble is, we as human beings are very predictable in the way we operate. We're like robots. Press button A and you'll get result B.


For me, an example might be: 


Button A. I have a very long To Do List. 


To Do List
Image by Rachel Ashe
Predictable Result B: I flap around, get in my head about how I won't be able to do it all - therefore I can't work effectively. I get it all done eventually, probably, but I'm stressed out and exhausted.


So, YES, Gail Sheehy! Be prepared to make changes. Defy the predictable!


Today, I have a VERY long To Do List but I'm going to have fun with it. 
Maybe even change it.


With thanks to Ellie Fowler
Bet you I'll get a lot more work done. Bet you I won't be as tired at the end of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment