Thursday 11 October 2012

On misleading titles

A friend is appearing in a musical called Spring Awakening at the Trinity Theatre, Tunbridge Wells, tonight.

Of course, I want to go to support her. I encourage my son and a girlfriend to come along too. 'What's it about?' they say. 'I don't know - but I'm sure it'll be a giggle,' I reply. I book the tickets.

My vision of Spring Awakening - the musical:


or possibly


Oh dear. I hope this musical isn't going to be too mawkish...

So I check, just to prepare myself for possible high cringe factor.

"An adaptation of the once scandalous 1891 play by Frank Wedekind, banned in Germany for some time due to its frank portrayal of abortion, homosexuality, rape, child abuse and suicide."


Oh, that'll be a giggle then.

1 comment:

  1. If you ever get the chance to see this musical, GO!

    I thought it was outstanding. Funny, moving, thought-provoking, great songs - just brilliant and memorable.

    It will haunt me.

    ReplyDelete