Tuesday 16 October 2012

Do not feed the trolls



 "In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion." 

How extraordinary some people are!

I posted about The Little Acts of Kindness Project on a community forum...


and almost immediately received the most extraordinary response, part of which, below:

"I think it is morally questionable that the primary school has embraced this. It simply reinforces in the children the notion that they should be noticed. This is not the action of a giving,caring, loving individual..."
 
My response? At first, hurt and angry, if I'm honest. That has now dissipated somewhat to feeling glad I live in my world and not his.
 
But how to respond on the forum? WHETHER to respond on the forum?
 
Here's something from Tiny Buddha

From a page entitled '10 ways to deal with negative or difficult people.'

"Temper your emotional response.  Negative people often gravitate toward others who react strongly–people who easily offer compassionor get outraged, or offended. I suspect this gives them a little light in the darkness of their inner world–a sense that they’re not floating alone in their own anger or sadness.  People remember and learn from what you do more than what you say. If you feed into the situation with emotions, you’ll teach them they can depend on you for a reaction. It’s tough not to react because we’re human, but it’s worth practising."

I'm practising! Oh how hard I'm practising...

No comments:

Post a Comment