Thursday 4 October 2012

I love to talk about nothing it's the only thing I know anything about

...said Oscar Wilde. I'm going to have to develop that facility pretty smartish because my mind's a blank this morning.

Jeanette Winterson came to my rescue. This from Gut Symmetries


"He: What’s the matter with you?

Me: Nothing.

Nothing was slowly clotting my arteries. Nothing slowly numbing my soul. Caught by nothing, saying nothing, nothingness becomes me. When I am nothing they will say, surprised in the way that they are forever surprised, "but there was nothing the matter with her.”

Why do we DO that? Why dodo that? Actually, for me, the conversation goes more like:

He: How are you?

Me: Fine!

Sometimes, I'm NOT fine. Sometimes there IS something wrong.

I don't think I'm afraid to admit weakness. It's just that I don't want to be a bother or a bore!


And mostly, when people ask those things, I wonder if they REALLY want to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment