Wednesday 18 January 2012

It is exercise alone that supports the spirits, and keeps the mind in vigour...

...said Cicero, sometime. Let me tell you when, give or take a few decades.

(Oh my giddy aunt! - Wikipedia is blacked out today to highlight its concerns over the Stop Online Piracy Act and the Protect IP Act, which aim to strengthen copyright laws in the US. What's a girl to do? You mean, I'll have to USE MY BRAIN?)


Imagine a World Without Free Knowledge.

I can't.

All power to your cause, Wikipedia. I use you every day.

Deep breaths, Caroline. Deep breaths.

Back to Cicero. He was born in 106 BC and killed (why?) in 43 BC.


He doesn't strike me as the athletic type, road-running in his Nike trainers, competing in marathons and the like. But then he was a Roman, wasn't he? Nike (goddess of strength and speed) and marathons are Greek.

But he's not a bad philosopher when addressing the subject of exercise.

Yesterday, I felt as miserable as sin ALL day. It was a real struggle to get on with my work, in fact a real struggle to do anything much at all. At 7 p.m. - a fitness class, chillingly named  
The Just For Her Bootcamp
at The Health Boutique in Uckfield (slogan - Be the one that matters...)

It was a KILLER session. An hour long. The last three stations in the circuit were, for example, sets of press ups, hands wide, L hand in front, R hand in front for 2 minutes each. THAT'S SIX MINUTES OF PRESS UPS! 
...and I don't have a wind-up switch  cunningly inserted into my side.

And afterwards, I felt WONDERFUL! You should try it. Honestly...


No comments:

Post a Comment