Wednesday 4 January 2012

Any occurrence requiring undivided attention will be accompanied by a compelling distraction.

 This is Hutchison's Law, cited by Robert Bloch, but it could just as well be mine.


(Now there's a thought! Wouldn't it be great to have a law named after you? [I suppose it depends on the law.])

Don't ask me who Hutchison is because I've failed to find out. There are plenty of people it could be but I don't know which is THE Hutchison. Probably the one who burnt the potatoes because he forgot he'd put them on when reviewing a screenplay.

Like I did yesterday.


Another typical example of me trying to seize every moment of the day so none of it is wasted.

1. Put the potatoes on to boil ready for supper.

2. Think 'Oh, there's just time to start reviewing a screenplay. I'll go upstairs and put the timer on so I don't forget the potatoes.'

3. Go upstairs. Forget to put the timer on. Start reviewing a screenplay. Forget the potatoes.

4. Smell burning. Run downstairs swearing.

(Peter didn't seem to notice any difference in the taste of the potatoes after I'd cut off the black bits.)

So today - spending more time than I saved by reviewing the screenplay while the potatoes were incinerating because I have to clean a blackened saucepan.

Hutchison, you are my soul-mate...

2 comments:

  1. I microwave my potatoes! 3min on one side, 3 min on the other and done! Well depending on the potato actually - it may do well 3 min on one and 2 on the other but you find out soon once you start using this method.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do that when I want jacket potatoes! I guess it's a lot safer than boiling...

    ReplyDelete