Tuesday 3 January 2012

Innovation is not the product of logical thought, although the result is tied to logical structure.

Good old Einstein. His theory of relativity really is very simple if you approach it step by step.



I'm no good without structure in my life. Hopeless in the holidays. You'd think that a creative spirit such as myself (ha ha!) would relish all those days of emptiness stretching out before her. Yes, a real chance to Get Down To Writing without the fetters of the day job.

As it is, I flounder about like...a flounder. (Do flounders flounder?)

 (They're not the prettiest of God's creatures are they?)

This holiday I have achieved NOTHING - if by something you were to mean Writing New Material.

I have, however, re-visited some of my existing work, dusted it down, given it a few tweaks here and there and entered it into contests. I promised myself I wouldn't leave so much stuff mouldering away in virtual file cabinets. At least I've made a start on THAT.

Structure in writing - all those format conventions for screenplays, which some people suggest inhibit their creative flow - on the contrary, I find they give me freedom. The structure is there like a scaffold so I don't have to waste any part of my brain by thinking about it.

I, for one, am happy to be back at my desk. I need structure in my life as much as I need a skeleton in my body.


Spine. It's not for everyone.

But it is for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment