Thursday 17 February 2011

Writing is easy. All you do is stare at a blank sheet of paper until drops of blood form on your forehead.

Gene Fowler (American journalist, author and dramatist) is a man after my own heart. Or rather, WAS, because he died in 1960. I don't know if it was as a result of his writing.

I can tell he was a REAL writer because his statement is so accurate - except, in my case, it's more often 'stare at a blank screen.'


I'm about to start a screenplay for a young actor/director based in New York. It's going to be about synesthesia. Yes - I had to look it up too.

Synesthesia is a perceptual condition of mixed sensations: a stimulus in one sensory modality (e.g., hearing) involuntarily elicits a sensation/experience in another modality (e.g. vision).


The screenplay will involve people who see colours when they hear sounds. That should make for phenomenal visual imagery.

All I have to do is start...

Simples!

I can't even procrastinate by sharpening my pencils because I use a keyboard. I could, however, spend some time removing the toast crumbs from between the keys.

That would work.

6 comments:

  1. Van Gogh is believed to have had synesthesia -- saw music as colors when he started piano lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Bill. It's a subject I'm finding more and more fascinating - and yes, I HAVE started :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great topic! Good luck, CC.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to hear it. I find the subject quite interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, it's YOU in disguise, KPJ!

    Thanks. It seems to be working out. Are you still going for it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a hard topic. Reminds me of a fight I had with my folks when naming my daughter. They wanted a name for her and I associated it with the color of the asphalt. And I said "the asphalt is always under your feet...always under".

    Don't have the condition though:) Just that name association which is not a rare thing I think.

    Congrats on starting! Wondering what it might be about...

    ReplyDelete