Friday 25 February 2011

"Art is..."

...what we call...

the thing an artist does.

It's not the medium or the oil or the price or whether it hangs on a wall or you eat it. What matters, what makes it art, is that the person who made it overcame the resistance, ignored the voice of doubt and made something worth making. Something risky. Something human.

Art is not in the eye of the beholder. It's in the soul of the artist."

This was written by Seth Godin and I've recently starting following his blog. It seems I am not alone. He's referred to as "America's Greatest Marketer, and his blog is perhaps the most popular in the world written by a single individual." Unlike mine.

Here is a link, just to show I'm not mean. Seth's blog!

I have an artist's aversion to marketing. I'm also lucky because I have a husband who earns a good wage, so I can afford to float around being all artisty and claim that it's the creative process that's important not the monetary value of what I write.


...BUT the thing is, I DO wish to earn a living as a writer - of my OWN work - not corporate material for other people. I don't want that fact to change how much I love being a writer, I LOVE WRITING, just the pleasure of writing is my oxygen, my food and drink, my life-blood.

 But I MUST stop being all airy-fairy-head-in-the-cloudsy about marketing.

Seth Godin gives me hope. Someone in marketing who has a soul?

I'm sure I could become an artist who has a business brain too.

I'm absolutely certain.

Completely convinced.

Errrm...








No comments:

Post a Comment