Tuesday 15 February 2011

Life is a yo-yo, and mankind ties knots in the string

Yesterday was certainly a yo-yo day! The ups and the downs of life as a humble writer... Did I say humble? No, I'm PROUD to be a writer. But sometimes you have to stand up for yourself...

This picture is called 'Girl With Yo-Yo' and is by a wonderful Brazilian artist called Morandini.

Yesterday, I wasn't 'Girl With Yo-Yo, ' I WAS THE YO-YO.

First, a huge UP! I learned that my Quirky Tales - The Great Wheelie Bin Robbery and The Mysterious Disappearing Flower were ON AIR from 11.30 a.m. every weekday. Fun Kids Live is a London-based digital radio station but anyone can listen on-line here

I was SO delighted! (As I write this, the time is ticking towards 11.30 when I'll be able to hear them for myself!)

Then, another huge UP without even coming down. (Is that possible with a yo-yo?)

I received an e-mail from the production company for whom I wrote a screenplay - and re-wrote...and re-wrote some more...and added extra scenes at short notice, even though I had already well-exceeded the hours I was paid for...and revised pages of dialogue at even shorter notice whilst on holiday in Canada...

It was an invitation to the premiere! WHOO HOO! I was so excited, I posted the link on Facebook.

Then I noticed...

This is the invitation:


If you can't read the writing it says:

"Co-written by Stoke-on-Trent female victim survivors and based on their actual experiences"

There is a GLARING omission in that statement. Not only that, the first part of the sentence is factually inaccurate. It's simply NOT TRUE.

I have e-mailed the production company. I think they think I'm some sort of prima donna. The invitations have already gone out. I have requested that all other publicity has me properly credited.

So there we are...

It's one huge learning curve for me.

The good bit - I was so angry that I shifted a load of hay bales!

Note to self: Get angry more often then will possess super-human strength and be able to perform heavy physical tasks with no problem at all.

I've said it before...

Is it just me?

5 comments:

  1. That is not right! I'm sorry. I hope they give you proper credit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Brianne. I hope so too!

    I hate making a fuss about things. I'd really rather keep my head below the parapet. However, to do that would be doing a disservice to myself and to all the other writers out there who are treated with such blatant disrespect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I noticed it on their facebook page. I thought you knew or I'd let you know.
    Can't believe they (producers in general) do that...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was too excited at first so I noticed nothing...

    I'm wondering if that's the reason they didn't tell me about the Facebook page (which has been up since November!)

    ...so that I wouldn't see what they had put about the writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's true. Sometimes one person has to put up a fight so that others may experience the blessings =)

    ReplyDelete