Saturday 31 March 2012

A day wasted on others is not wasted on one's self

...said Charles Dickens.


I'm wondering exactly what the Dickens he meant...

When I'm horribly driven by deadlines, I'm scared of, or I begrudge my time being 'eaten away' by things that aren't important. By this (when I'm horribly driven) I mean taking time to talk to friends, not minding being interrupted by phonecalls and girlfriends dropping round for a coffee because they know I work from home, or by one or other of my sons Skyping me from Canada for a chat in the afternoon, which is their morning.


I have to ask myself exactly WHICH of these things is more important. A while ago, I'd have thought - why, deadlines, of course. I have my status as a professional to consider. Now I think - my friends and family. It's really a no-brainer.

A day spending time with others is definitely not wasted and is absolutely definitely not wasted on me - the me who spends far too much time on her own or inside her head.

I'm wondering if animals count as others. This morning I spent two hours shampooing and drying and polishing Alfie in preparation for the dressage competition tomorrow. Then he went out into the field and rolled in the mud within 30 seconds!


Was it my time wasted?  Two hours with a horse is never time wasted. My theory is that it'll take less time to polish him tomorrow...

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it. Rather like the mud is sticking to Alfie.


No comments:

Post a Comment