Sunday 4 March 2012

A week is a long time...

...not just in politics, said Caroline Coxon and Harold Wilson (British Prime Minister twice, during the 1960s and 70s.)

Harold Wilson also said '“I'm an optimist, but an optimist who carries a raincoat.”


 He could do with one today, that's for sure.


I was thinking that this time last week, we had just arrived back from our holiday (we as in Pete and I not we as in Harold and I. He's been dead since 1995 and that would be just too weird.) and I felt refreshed, relaxed and clear-headed, raring to go.


This week, I've been to hospital with breathlessness following on from a thumping ski fall when I hurt my ribs and now I seem to have caught Peter's flu-type coldy bug so I feel like...how can I put this politely?...


I won't even try.


My beloved brother was admitted to hospital with heart problems, son Tim hasn't been too grand, Pete's been ill in bed. The weather has reverted from mild spring sunshine to dank, windy, drizzling rain with the threat of snow, too.


Do I feel refreshed, relaxed and clear-headed, and raring to go any more?


No, I do not.


Am I a miserable old whinge who doesn't appreciate how lucky she is?


Yes, I am.


I do apologise.



Normal unrealistic and ephemeral optimism will be resumed tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment