Tuesday 13 March 2012

If everything's under control, you're going too slow.

...said Mario Andretti.

My very first quote from a Formula One racing driver. (I was going to say 'deceased' because it seems to me that many from his era are - but he's very much alive. Sorry, Mario.)


There's a picture to encourage a whole new readership to my blog - and possibly turn away many others. You win some, you lose some.

Sorry, petrolheads. This is nothing about accelerators, engines, races, pit stops, wet weather tyres (and now I've run out of Words To Do With Cars)

Writing - yes - my writing is often absolutely under too much control and isn't going too slowly, it's at a complete and utter standstill.

I was thinking about control this morning, in a different context. "Am I a control freak? AM I?" I was thinking to myself, as I was beaming with pleasure at the yard this morning.

I can stand beside Poppy, say 'lift up,' quietly, and she'll raise the nearest hoof ready for me to pick the stones and mud out.

I can go to the field gate, call out 'Alfie' and he'll come galloping out of nowhere (admittedly because he's after some grub, but still...)


Roly will sit when I ask him to (mostly!) Oh - he's a dog, not a horse. Now that WOULD be something...

It gives me such pleasure, all that.

I don't think it's because I'm a control freak. I think it's because I'm so delighted that I have such close relationships with these free-spirited animals that they're willing to listen to me as much as I'm willing to listen to their requests and anxieties.

I think it's the best feeling in the world.

If only my writing brain and I lived in such harmony...

No comments:

Post a Comment