Sunday 18 March 2012

Sweater, n.: garment worn by child when its mother is feeling chilly.

I love this definition. So true.



This is where it's from - my discovery of the day. Sardonic, satirical, maybe. The work of the devil? Hardly.

First published in 1906 (under the name The Cynic's Word Book.) 1906? If you had asked me, I'd have said that quote could have been written yesterday.

Today's Mothering Sunday. Note that. The fourth Sunday in Lent. A Christian festival originally conceived to honour the Virgin Mary and 'mother church,' but, later, to celebrate motherhood in general.

It's NOT Mother's Day. This is how Ambrose Bierce may have defined that:

Mother's Day: An annual event created by greeting card manufacturers, Ferrero Rocher and flower-sellers, in order to hike up prices and make a huge profit.

Blearrrrrgh! (sorry)

Question to self: Would I say blearrrrgh if I received such a card from Tim, Jamie or Laurie?

The honest answer: No, I'd be delighted and melt into a pile of maternal goo.

(Any card at all would be quite nice!)

I have, in fact, received a beautiful Kilmarnock Willow from Tim, all the more special because he carried it all the way home on the train and up the hill from the station...


...and Jamie and Laurie are exonerated because Mother's Day is on quite a different day in Canada.

I love being a mother. It's the best job in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment