Friday 26 August 2011

A joke is a very serious thing

Guess who said that?







Churchill.

Not the car insurance dog, which is, I'm reliably informed, what most people in the UK think of when the name is mentioned (says she, cleverly perpetuating the superficiality of our nation in one deft stroke!)

THIS Churchill:




Which rather neatly brings me on to the British sense of humour. (You can tell it's British because it has a U in it.)






And who better as an exemplar than Hugh Grant?
The list is quite possibly endless.









Hugh Grant - he of the carefully-coiffured casually fuzzy hair.

Yesterday I read something that he said and I'm still laughing about it today.

"I find it hard to understand why Scorsese has never called. You know, given the natural menace I bring to the screen."

I LOVE IT. That IS British humour in all its finery - at least, the ironic self-deprecation aspect of it. Hugh Grant, you have risen at least three notches in my estimation. Who needs an Oscar, anyway?

I'd be interested to know how many people are thinking 'Uh?' And if they're thinking 'Uh?' where do they come from?

1 comment:

  1. And this made me laugh for good 3 min:
    "(You can tell it's British because it has a U in it.)"

    Very funny, Caroline! Funnier that what's Hugh Grant said, although that one is good too.

    Three YEYs for British humor then! :)

    ReplyDelete