Wednesday 10 August 2011

By all means use sometimes to be alone. Salute thyself; see what thy soul doth wear.

Oh, the happy days of studying metaphysical poets, though I was more of a John Donne girl, myself. I always thought George Herbert was a bit po-faced.










That's me being poetic, quoting 'The Sun Rising'..."Busy old fool, unruly sun..."

I just had to check, in case anyone asked me, the exact definition of metaphysics. (Yes, I know...but it was a very long time ago, and it'll save you the trouble.)

Metaphysics is a branch of philosophy concerned with explaining the fundamental nature of being and the world.












Back to the George Herbert quote.

Peter has gone back to work today so, for the first time in ages, I'm alone in the house. Apart from the dog and my pet spiders.

It's not that I don't love my husband, but I tell you, it's very difficult to concentrate on writing when he's around. It's those silent messages beamed through the air, up the stairs and along the corridor to my study...'I bet she's looking on Facebook'...'Surely removing cobwebs from the rafters should be more of a priority than writing screenplays?'

Today, I have saluted myself. And you'll be pleased to learn that my soul is wearing a diaphanous shift dress with no fastenings.

All the better to fly with, my dear.






No comments:

Post a Comment