Saturday 13 August 2011

I used to save all my rejection slips because I told myself, one day I'm going to autograph these and auction them. And then I lost the box.

I must confess, I'd never heard of James Lee Burke until just now, still less read any of his novels.

He looks like a cowboy.









I like his style.

The story of his journey as a writer is one of those that gives people like me hope.

His novel The Lost Get-Back Boogie was rejected 111 times over a period of nine years, and upon publication by Louisiana State University press was nominated for a Pulitzer Prize.

HOORAY!

Yes, today I received a rejection letter for Of Night And Light - The Novel







My feelings? Well, first I ripped the letter into a hundred tiny pieces and shoved it into the dustbin. (If only I'd thought about saving it so I could autograph it at some later date!)

Then, I was overcome with relief to have HEARD at last (it's been seven weeks, I think)

THEN, I looked at my list and decided who to send the manuscript to next.

Sometimes, I surprise myself. I trundle along in life thinking I'm fragile.

Some days, I am.

But not today.


No comments:

Post a Comment