Wednesday 1 May 2013

It's a pity thoughts always run the easiest way, like water in old ditches.

A nearly Walter de la Mare quote - oh, that name takes me back to my schooldays...a poem that I learned.

"Is there anybody there?" said the Traveller,
Knocking on the moonlit door;
And his horse in the silence champed the grass
Of the forest's ferny floor..."

James T Campbell
 See, as usual my thoughts are running like water in old ditches, wherever is downhill.

That's the trouble with my brain. And also the best bit. I don't get bored inside my head.

Anyway - this post was MEANT to be about interrupting the predictable, of making the water run in a different direction. It's never predictable in my head, but in my outer life - yes, routine and predictability rule the day.

Peter had a great idea - that we should spend a few hours a week in silence. (I don't think he meant this as a way to shut me up, honestly) What he meant was, we always have NOISE in our lives, in the house at least - the radio, the TV, iPad, laptop, PC, iTunes, Samsung Galaxy Android, the phone, sometimes three or four simultaneously. It's an excellent way of blocking out thoughts, of not being with our emotions, of distraction.

So...we will give it a go. We will dwell in our thoughts. For me, it will be a challenge.


After you, Peter!

No comments:

Post a Comment