Tuesday 14 May 2013

A woman must have money and a room of her own if she is to write fiction.

Okay, Virginia, let's look at this logically shall we?


I DO have a room of my own - lucky me. I used to have my office in the bedroom. How easy it was to shut off thoughts about work with my computer JUST THERE every time I opened my eyes!

So now I have an office, formerly known as Pete's office but who needs an office when you have a laptop? I tell him. He remains unconvinced. When it was HIS office it used to be SO TIDY...

Money? I wonder if Virginia Woolf meant that the money must be her own as well as the room? Certainly, it's better for feelings of self-worth that I do earn money, even if a tiny fraction of Pete's salary.

It's hardly me, is it? IS IT?

But anyway...I do have money (even if invoicing clients is not a strong point - see tomorrow's blog)

SO - I have a room of my own and I have money...and I am a woman. At least I was the last time I checked.

MONEY + ROOM = FICTION WRITER

If only, Virginia. If only.



No comments:

Post a Comment