Wednesday 29 May 2013

No such thing as coincidence? - Safeguarding your work on the internet, Part Two


So - yesterday I posted about possible  theft of your writing on the internet - and ways and means of minimising its likelihood.

Today, on Shooting People's screenwriters forum - a big post about the very same thing, called 'Plagiarism is alive and well' linked here for your reference - albeit advertising the services of a script registration service called The Script Vault - which seems very reasonable in price, if that's what you want to do.


Here's the promised tip from Techie-Meister Tim Coxon


EASY-PEASY - click HERE to do your own

So - to try it out, I put an alert for my screenplay 'The Melting' - using those exact words. I get almost daily alerts. You'd be surprised how much I know about global warming and only slightly annoyed by a chain of restaurants in the US called 'The Melting Pot' - but it's effective. Puts my mind at rest. I feel in control.

I also put in an alert using name of one of the characters in The Melting - a mutant snowflake (don't ask!) called Pekka Pekkanen, a name that I made up. THAT will be a test, I thought.

Imagine my surprise, the other day, when I got an alert for Pekka Pekkanen, about a year after I'd created the alert and forgotten I'd done it! MY HEART LURCHED...

There is actually someone in real life called Pekka Pekkanen who just opened an account on Facebook! I've yet to find out whether or not he or she is a mutant snowflake...

www.nerdtopiacast.com
So - you could choose a character or an unusual phrase out of your work and see what happens!

Thanks, Tim!



No comments:

Post a Comment