Sunday 23 September 2012

The man who can't visualise a horse galloping on a tomato is an idiot.

I'm rather taken by this quotation by André Breton, French surrealist. (Surrealist? Surely not?)




I think my mind works in a surreal way most of the time and particularly now I'm taking such a cocktail of pain medication. Every cloud has a silver lining.

It helps me as a writer - not the pain medication, per se, although writing can be torture sometimes. I mean, having a mind that works in a surreal way helps me as a writer. I think. Though people who try to comprehend what I've written may disagree.

'Brain chamber of a surreal mind' by Mandelwerk
"Surrealist works feature the element of surprise, unexpected juxtapositions and non sequitur."

Hooray! An intelligent sounding interpretation to justify my muddled butterfly brain!

Rather like people attributing poor spelling to undiagnosed dyslexia. Or over-lively and, frankly, downright badly-behaved children to ADHD.

Labels, don't we just love 'em?

And with that, I have a phonecall to make.

Salvador Dali at the beach, by Peter Duggan

No comments:

Post a Comment