Saturday 22 September 2012

Oh! hush thee, my baby, the night is behind us

 I have a feeling I've mentioned this before, but it bears repeating...over and over again...until everyone's been enchanted.

The Seal Lullaby by Eric Whitacre, poem by Rudyard Kipling


I heard it on the radio this morning and was at once soothed into blissful calm.

The White Seal is a beautiful story, classic Kipling, dark and rich. The tale begins with the mother seal singing softly to her young pup.



Oh! hush thee, my baby, the night is behind us,
And black are the waters that sparkled so green.
The moon, o'er the combers, looks downward to find us
At rest in the hollows that rustle between.
Where billow meets billow, then soft be thy pillow;
Ah, weary wee flipperling, curl at thy ease!
The storm shall not wake thee, nor shark overtake thee,
Asleep in the arms of the slow-swinging seas.


 A Saturday gift for you, with my love.

No comments:

Post a Comment