Tuesday 7 August 2012

The exhausted fish's guide to swimming against the tide.

It's not all it's cracked up to be. Maybe.

 

To swim against the tide of a predictable future makes positive changes happen in the world. That's why I strive to do it.

HOWEVER, sometimes, just sometimes, it would make sense not to, at least for a while.

"See--what I realized...a person has three choices in life. You can swim against the tide and get exhausted, or you can tread water and let the tide sweep you away, or you can swim with the tide and let it take you where it wants you to go." --Joel Fleischman, Northern Exposure

The past few days, I've been swimming against the tide. Lots that needs doing. Lots of work (not to mention screenplay writing) piling up while I'm having a lovely time with my brother and sister and sister-in-law, staying here for a pre-birthday celebration.

So...I was trying to do it all, then making myself bad and wrong for failing to achieve the impossible - no, NOT impossible - possible if I could manage without sleep!

So here I am, an exhausted fish.


NEXT time, I'll let the tide take me where it wants me to go, just for a while.

Day 6 Update
Zero and rising despair

No comments:

Post a Comment