Sunday 26 February 2012

“My dear friend, clear your mind of can't.”

Was this from a self-development seminar? A transformational workshop? A psychotherapy session?

Nope. Samuel Johnson said it sometime between 1709 and 1784. (I'm not sure of the exact date.) Enlightened chap.

BEFORE

When I went on holiday, this is roughly what my mind looked like inside...


...only messier. And I didn't have a bolt through my neck.

Here was me working at the computer:


 In fact, I don't really know how I functioned at all. I DID function though because I finished all my projects to deadline and got no complaints. (That's my understated British way of saying I got lots of thanks and compliments)

In the 'doing stuff for work' compartment - firing on all cylinders really. As for the rest - well, there wasn't a rest. I could hardly remember what day it was let alone entertain any thoughts of dealing with Important Matters like my life and well-being.

AFTER


Having a clear mind, by the way, is different from having an EMPTY one. I quite often get those. It isn't really empty, though, it's just so jammed full of can'ts that no rational thought can be squeezed out so it SEEMS empty. Not empty but stuck.

So here's me with a beautiful clear mind and I can see what's important and where to go from here in a calm and not at all driven way and I'm inspired by Eric Butterworth's thoughts - "More important than learning how to recall things is finding ways to forget things that are cluttering the mind."


The BIG question is: How long will it last?

2 comments:

  1. I believe it's "Clear your mind of cant", not "Clear your mind of can't". As in "cant" and not "can't" - there's no apostrophe. "Can't" and "cant" mean rather different things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed they do. You may very well be right, even if I am not! Blame ThinkExist where I usually find quotes. In fact, it seems all over the Internet it's 'can't' not 'cant'...how these mistakes develop a life of their own!

    ReplyDelete