Monday 6 February 2012

In India, "cold weather" is merely a conventional phrase...

"...and has come into use through the necessity of having some way to distinguish between weather which will melt a brass door-knob and weather which will only make it mushy."

Bizarrely, no images of melting door-knobs, still less mushy ones, are to be found. ANYWHERE. So here instead is a painting of a door-knob at room temperature. British room temperature, that is.

by Leyla Munteanu
The quote is from Mark Twain and made me laugh out loud so I had to use it today, specially for my friend in Bombay, Rusty Irani, blogger about films extraordinaire, brilliant screenplay writer, especially in the Western genre (Western as in cowboys, not as in...as opposed to Eastern)...

 ...and very good friend.


Our snow here is melting, almost as quickly as it arrived. Shame!

We are left with mushy slush. Neither pretty nor any use to man or beast.

Slush ranks second only to sleet on my weather hit list...if you're at all interested...



2 comments:

  1. If I use the term brass-knobs in an analogy or example, I'm bound to have my extraordinaire blogging skills being sued or condemned by non-pc groups the world over.

    That cowboy however, is aces!

    Great post Blogette Quirkiest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say that it was with some trepidation that I put 'melting door knobs' in as a search on Google when I was looking for images!

    ReplyDelete