Wednesday 1 February 2012

February is a suitable month for dying.

"...Everything around is dead, the trees black and frozen so that the appearance of green shoots two months hence seems preposterous, the ground hard and cold, the snow dirty, the winter hateful, hanging on too long."

by Ilona Wellman
That's a bit on the harsh side saying that, Anna Quindlen,  (American author, journalist, and New York Times columnist.) Just a touch...miserable, don't you think?


I mean, I NEVER complain about the weather do I? Much. Today, as it happens, There Is No Sleet. There is, instead, brilliant sunshine. (I must try writing letters to God more often.)

Is it something about Americans, this hate of a perfectly good month?


"The most serious charge which can be brought against New England is not Puritanism but February, " said Joseph Wood Krutch. Joseph Wood Krutch? You couldn't make up a name like Joseph Wood Krutch.

 (Except, he claims Krutch is pronounced Krootch. Well, you would, wouldn't you?)

Nope, I don't intend to die in February. I don't plan on being pessimistic. (That's as long as there's no sleet.)

February is a suitable month for BURSTING FORTH.

The witch hazel tree in my garden tells me so.


The witch hazel tree may live to regret it.




No comments:

Post a Comment