Monday 10 June 2013

Traditionally art is to create and not to revive.

To revive: leave that to the historians, who are looking backward.

Josef Albers said this - and for your information (and mine) he was an artist I'd never heard of until three minutes ago - shame on me.

Josef Albers, Figure, 1921
Glass Assemblage mounted on brass sheet
I don't quite adhere to his pronouncement though. There CAN be creation and art in revival.

I was listening to Desert Island Discs on Sunday and the castaway was a climber called Conrad Anker -whose website heading is 'be good. be kind. be happy.' so he's definitely a soul-mate.

He swept me away with his words and his choice of music until...I had a slight wobble when he introduced an updated version of 'Old Man' by Neil Young, performed by a group (person?) called Redlight King

SACRILEGE! I thought.

Until I heard it.

Members of the jury, please examine Exhibit A.

I was blown away.

Love it.

AND it introduces Neil Young to a whole new generation.

SO - there is art in reviveal at least sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment