Thursday 20 June 2013

Listening with that plastic smile people wear when they are trying not to scream.

Yesterday, P.G. Wodehouse, today, Raymond Chandler.


No, I'm not planning a lie-in...I was referring to Philip Marlowe, detective. And even that's not true because today we're off to Marlow, without the e...


...and I got distracted by Philip Marlowe, when looking for quotes.

More inspirational figurative language:

“The wet air was as cold as the ashes of love.”

“He looked about as inconspicuous as a tarantula on a slice of angel food cake.”

“The girl gave him a look which ought to have stuck at least four inches out of his back.”

Reading phrases like that really makes me up my game and inject surprise and variety into my own writing, so to Raymond Chandler and P.G. Wodehouse...


 Yes, off to Marlow today to have a meal at Tom Kerridge's pub - The Hand And Flowers.

This is Pete's Christmas present from me. June 20th was THE FIRST AVAILABLE DATE when I booked in early December, last year. Should be the best meal ever.

I am doing the honourable thing and going with him. Such self-sacrifice!

Back tomorrow. Late blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment