Tuesday 11 June 2013

…the blogosphere is the friend of information but the enemy of thought.

Thank you Alan Jacobs.

Now, however hard I think, I'm not going to find out who you are - so let me use the friend of information.

Ah, he's the Clyde S. Kilby Professor of English at Wheaton College. Of course he is. I'm sure Clyde. S. Kilby (let me check...) ex Professor of English at Wheaton College...(let me check...)Wheaton College...a private Christian liberal arts college in Wheaton (let me check...) a suburb 25 miles (40 km) west of Chicago, Illinois, would be proud of you.


I love finding things out. In fact, I would say, I'm OBSESSED with finding things out. I drive Pete mad by having my iPad on my lap in front of the TV and constantly searching. 'Which film has she been in before?' 'Where was this shot?' 'What's that song they're using in the soundtrack?'

Does it spoil my enjoyment of the programme? Or would my enjoyment of the programme be spoiled if I didn't find out the answer to my questions? Discuss.

I'm wondering if I always used to be like this. I think not. I'm sure I wouldn't concern myself with all these little questions if, to find out the answer, I had to catch a bus to the local library and pore through twenty volumes of the Encyclopaedia Britannica.


Does such easy access to information stop me thinking?

Not as much as a sat nav makes people lose their sense of direction, ability to look at road signs and read maps.

No comments:

Post a Comment