Friday 7 June 2013

I will gain a great deal of pleasure, joy, even in your submission.

The more you submit, the greater my joy – it’s a very simple equation.

Oh how I laughed! The above quote came from Fifty Shades of Grey - see how kindly I've put a link to it, should you want to purchase it.

I'd planned to write this blog about submitting my work to publishers. In the very act of putting in the Google search 'submission quotes,' I realised that perhaps there was a fundamental error in my thought process...


IF ONLY the publishers (or even just ONE!) felt the same about my submission - that it gave them a great deal of pleasure, joy, even, and that the more I submitted, the greater their joy.

SO - I've lost all those silly disempowering thoughts and am submitting like there's no tomorrow.

Not even blanching too much when I read a post on Shooting People called Submission Insanity

At least I don't resort to things like THIS:

 
"I got a cover letter in the form of a jigsaw puzzle, where I had to piece it together. I put together the first couple of pieces and said, 'I can't believe I'm wasting my time on this.' So I didn't." - Shawna McCarthy

OR 

"...send in a fantasy manuscript on pink paper with pictures of unicorns and stardust sprinkled on it." - Greg Cox 


Those examples came from a wonderful article called It Came From The Slush Pile by Carol Pinchefsky.

Read it and cringe!

In the mean time - I shall carry on submitting, being sure to adhere to the publishers' guidelines TO THE LETTER. Why risk scuppering my chances? It's tempting, so tempting, to make strenuous efforts to stand out from the crowd - but I live in the hope that MY WRITING will do that, not any fancy tricksie stunts.

Onwards and upwards!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment