Thursday 25 July 2013

Writing Tip:The first rule of intelligent tinkering is ...?

 "...to save all the parts," says Paul Ehrlich (but then, he was a physician and scientist.)


In novel writing, I hereby declare that the first rule of intelligent tinkering is:

Saul Steinberg
I hardly dare tell you how much and how often I've tinkered with the first three chapters of Falling Awake

O, that way madness lies.


I have to ask myself WHY DO I DO IT?

Once I've completed the novel (she says, optimistically) the first three chapters will surely change anyway.

Tinkering totally inhibits any forward progress with the rest of the story and saps me of inspiration and enthusiasm.

SO - NO MORE.

(but there must be a better word than 'flaming' I could use on line 1, page 4? Let me just consult Mr. Roget and his oversized Thesaurus...)

AAAAAAAAAAAAARGH...



No comments:

Post a Comment