Tuesday 2 July 2013

Life is grace. Sleep is forgiveness. The night absolves.

Darkness wipes the slate clean, not spotless to be sure, but clean enough for another day's chalking

Beautiful words from Frederick Buechner -  American writer and theologian. How often I go to bed with my head full of worries about this and that and the other, yet wake up refreshed and ready to take anything on.

State of Grace by Catherine Lemaitre Earle

"The problem with trying to write words that describe the gift of Frederick Buechner's writings is that it’s like trying to write a symphony to honour Beethoven, or whip up a little stain glass window to honour Chagall," says John Ortberg. I would agree.

One of the things that I love about this blog is the new discoveries I make - and, for sure, I will return to the writings of Buechner for inspiration.

The world as a space for amazing grace. (I said that, not Beuchner!) It's something that occupies my mind a great deal at the moment.

By the way, don't worry that I've gone completely la-la-loopy. I can't help being irreverent even when having Deep and Philosophical Moments.

Here's what popped up when I was searching for a suitably ethereal and moving image of grace to match my pondering:


I can't help thinking that if ever anyone had an inappropriate name, Grace Jones is IT.

Yes, you knew this was coming. Amazing Grace. My favourite version is by Rebecca Ferguson. (I apologise in advance for the X-Factory bit but honestly, it's worth it.)


A day of amazing grace to you all...

No comments:

Post a Comment