Wednesday 3 July 2013

Every waiting day makes your life a little less.

The full quote, from Ann Brashares of the slightly unfortunate name.

"It’s by living that you live more. By waiting you wait more. Every waiting day makes your life a little less. Every lonely day makes you a little smaller. Every day you put off your life makes you less capable of living it.”

gallery.mobile9.com
 I've been very busy, lately, sending off different pieces of work to small independent publishers.

None of these have the stipulation, as from many of the big houses, that submissions can only to be via a literary agent or "No simultaneous submissions: we will not consider unsolicited manuscripts that are currently on submission to another publisher."

I've been down that route in the past. It means my work has been in limbo land for three or four months at a time, only then to be turned down. That makes progress feel glacial. No irony at all in the fact that many glaciers are retreating these days.


I've been thinking to myself 'Do I feel that small independent publishers are in some way second best?' (The fact that I first sent my work to major publishers seems to suggest that.)

Honestly?

I realise that I would PREFER to have my work handled by a small company rather than a faceless corporate.


Oh, and I'm not going to fall into the trap of putting my life on hold until I hear back from all these people...

I'm writing another novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment