Thursday 21 March 2013

To know what you prefer, instead of humbly saying Amen to what the world tells you you ought to prefer, is to have kept your soul alive.

No, the quote's not from a 21st Century happy-clappy positive-thought motivational evangelist - but Robert Louis Stevenson.


I was thinking about my new found assertiveness (which sometimes may come across as aggression because I'm just a beginner) and wondering whether or not it was completely at odds with New Kadampa Buddhism, the basis of my meditation classes.

SURELY we're not expected to accept mistreatment and bad behaviour and abuse and disrespect?

SO - I Googled 'Buddhism Assertiveness' just to see what came up, and was fascinated. And of course, distracted for ages when I should have been working!

First, an article on tinybuddha.com by Matt Ramos on how to become more assertive so opportunities don't pass you by.

Then, a link that led me to an idea I'd not heard of before called Rejection Therapy.

Click on the links, if you're interested.


The idea is to make requests of people every day or even do something as simple as smile at a stranger. Your day is not successful unless someone has rejected you, either by saying “No” or by not smiling back.

If you're NOT rejected then your requests aren't big enough. It's meant to take away fear and is a means to learn that no matter how much it hurts, rejection is better than the alternative, which is to live without putting yourself out there.

Hmmmm, there's a 30 Day Challenge. What do you reckon?

No comments:

Post a Comment