Thursday 20 December 2012

“If you always do what interests you, at least one person is pleased.”

So said Katharine Hepburn. (Beautiful lady.)


It's a risky strategy, as a writer, possibly. My personal taste is a little quirky - no, let me rephrase that - a LOT quirky - so I'm pretty much bound to alienate huge swathes of the general population with my work if I write to please myself. Which means my work may never get published...or be appealing film-wise.

Writing to please other people? Can be soul-destroying. Feels like a sell-out. But perhaps gives you (me?) (one?) a better chance of success?

Filth, as a script, is fairly quirky. Lots of people don't get it. I begin to conclude that I'm WAAAAY too subtle and obscure...

So - yesterday, the director came down from London with the first rough cut. Me - excited but anxious in case I didn't like what he'd done...

It was good! As I imagined it, for the most part. Some bits made me laugh out loud. (It's a black comedy)

And the director asked for another script of mine.

So, at least TWO people are pleased by me doing what interests me!


No comments:

Post a Comment