Sunday 9 December 2012

“Tomorrow may be hell, but today was a good writing day..."

" and on the good writing days nothing else matters.”

Neil Gaiman by Adrien Deggan
I wonder if only writers can understand what it's like to be a writer?

All I know is, that it is the BEST feeling when my writing goes well. I'm trying to think if there's any other experience that comes close. The only thing for me is when I'm riding and we (either Alfie or Poppy) are so much in harmony that we're like one being. (Sorry Peter, if you're reading this!)

Without wishing to sound too far up myself (she says, proceeding to do that very thing...) this kind of experience, to me, has been best described by Mihály Csíkszentmihályi in his book Flow: The Psychology of Happiness: The Classic Work on How to Achieve Happiness


In essence, "flow is the mental state of operation in which a person performing an activity is fully immersed in a feeling of energized focus, full involvement, and enjoyment in the process of the activity."

Note to self: Must re-read.

Yep, how to achieve happiness...

But tell me, someone, how do you achieve FLOW?

No comments:

Post a Comment